Our parish was founded by Czechoslovakia farmers who settled eight miles east of New Prague. They had been walking to church in New Prague, but it was a long walk and the trees were thick. Most Holy Trinity Church in Veseli was officially organized on March 1, 1874 by twenty families. Forty acres of land was donated by generous farmers, and the first church was completed in 1878.
Our current church was built at a cost of $30,000 and the cornerstone was laid on June 4,1905 – the feast of the Holy Trinity. The first Mass held in the church was on Christmas in 1905. The original organ is still being played today. Church members paid rent for their church pews; a name and number were marked on every pew. These names are still on the pews. The bell tower is 90 feet high by 20 square feet. It is said that the names of the donors are inscribed on the bells.
The inside of the church was repainted in 1951, covering many of the original artwork to what was in style at the time. A redecorating project in 2006-2007 restored much of the original artwork.
Our church festival, the Ho-Down, was started in 1967 and is held on the third Sunday in August every year.
We have had 19 priests serve our parish since it was founded.
Much of this history is taken from the Most Holy Trinity Church & Most Holy Trinity School & Veseli book below, written by Clarence and the late Jan Smisek. To learn more about our church, please consider purchasing one or both of the books below. Contact the parish office at 507-744-2823 to order.
Most Holy Trinity Church & Most Holy Trinity School & Veseli
Compiled by Clarence and the late Jan Smisek, parishioners and long-time residents.
This book is filled with history dating back to the 1800s about our church, priests that have served our parish, and the town of Veseli.
Our Church, Our Heritage, Our Faith
Compiled by the Most Holy Trinity Church Council of Catholic Women/Altar Society
This book contains almost 100 pages of information about the 2006-2007 redecorating project, statues, the altar, saints pictured in the stained glass, symbols and wording, parts of our church, and seasons. Proceeds of this book fund projects of the Council of Catholic Women.